Sunday, February 22, 2009

Easy Sunday Pot Roast Recipe

My mom's recipe—she always said it was "tender as a womans heart." If you like one that you can slice, this one is not for you, it falls apart with a fork. Those who know me will raise eyebrows at the MSG laden soups. Now I try to find natural/organic alternatives, but regardless, this is the best pot roast I've had and the easiest.

1 pkg Lipton Beefy Onion Dry Soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 beef roast (whatever cut you like--non-CAFO, locally-raised, grass-fed, hugged and kissed just prior to a humane slaughter, etc.)

1 lb carrots baby or chunked-up
2 lbs quarted potatoes (I like red)
some celery and onion hunks if you want, maybe some garlic cloves, but now we're getting into work.

Grease a 9x13" pan or line with foil (I use my stoneware for this one) Preheat oven to 250°. Mix soups in a bowl. Place a little of the mixture in the bottom of the pan, then place the roast on that. Rub the rest of the mixture all over the meat. Seal well with tin foil--if you have a lid for the pan you're using, still seal with tin foil before using the lid. You can crock pot this but for some reason I don't like it as well.

Total cooking time is 8-10 hours. My mom called it the 8-hour roast. It will be ok at 6.

Add vegetables 2 hours before you want to eat and reseal well. Let it rest (uncut!) 10 minutes before eating.

Good to serve with fabulous biscuits. They only take about 20 minutes if you're quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment